The Mission of AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college & career readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class based on writing as a tool of learning, inquiry method, collaborative grouping, organizational skills, and reading strategies. The three main components of the program are academic instruction, tutorial support, and motivational activities.
AVID Students Will …
|Succeed in rigorous curriculum
|Prepare for enrollment in four-year colleges
|Become educated and responsible
|Participate and lead in a democratic society
AVID Students are Likely to be or Have…
|Average to High Test Scores
|First in Family to Attend College
|Historically Underserved in 4 Year Colleges
|College Potential with Support
|Desire and Determination for Academic Success
|Driven to learn about potential careers
How does the AVID program contribute to the success of the students?
- Teaches study and organization skills while strengthening reading and writing skills
- Gives tutorial help through the process of inquiry and collaboration
- Teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in rigorous courses
- Helps students explore careers & colleges through guest speakers and projects
- Builds a positive peer group for students through the AVID Elective class